Monday 11 March 2013

They call me....Z


Hello, my name is Chris and I’m a Scorpio. I enjoy soccer, long walks on the beach, and building plastic model kits.

In all semi seriousness, I’m Chris, a.k.a. Big Z on MechaLounge/Plamocon/G.E. or The_Big_Z on Reddit. I’ve been building model kits off and on since I was a little kid, the old AMT and Revell snap fit cars and planes, a few Tamiya tanks but my interest in modeling never really took off until late 2011 when I was introduced to Gundam model kits through a random Facebook post. I was a big fan of Wing when it was shown in the States but I had no idea they made models of the kits. Now 10+ years later I am trying to get caught up on all the other anime series (Go 8th MS!) and discovering all the awesome stuff I have been missing!

By trade I am a professional airbrush artist with over 20 years experience (yes, that means I am pretty old), specializing in custom automotive murals. I have been able to apply that knowledge to the paint side of model building, but I feel I have a long way to go on everything else. Luckily I have met some amazing people in the last year that are helping me every day by answering questions and inspiring me with amazing bodies of work. I also feel very honored to be a member of this group, because I know in modeling experience I am dwarfed by the other 3 guys (So I have a lot to prove!).

My style tends to lean more towards the weathered and damaged side of paint finishes. While I know this isn't everyone’s cup of tea, in my mind it would be a more accurate representation of how these metal monsters would look after an actual battle. On top of that, I just have a lot of fun weathering stuff and learning different weathering techniques.

As far as future plans with modeling, my backlog now consists of 100% Gundam related plastic and resin models. I plan on expanding to Maschinen Kreiger, Macross and the Zoids universe, and maybe even try my hand at some of the Games Workshop miniatures and resin kits. I have also started a small commission business with a good friend of mine (Dave a.k.a. Gunplameister) called 2 Monkeys Studios, mainly focused on resin kits and figures. I also have two young protégé’s in my 11 year old daughter and 8 year old son who both enjoy the hobby with me!

Current projects include:
MG MkII 2.0
MG Qubeley
MG Shin Matsunaga Zaku 2.0
MG Nu ver. Ka
Gsystem Kampfer

A few examples of my kits so far:

To see some of my airbrush work please check out ABCGrafiks on Facebook!


No comments:

Post a Comment